[Cadets] Seaplane Base During EAA AirVenture

Richard Merz rmerz3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 08:42:41 CDT 2015

Attention Cadets,

I have an opportunity for cadets that would like to work at the Seaplane
Base (just outside Oshkosh, WI) during the EAA AirVenture airshow.  The
activity runs 18-27 July.  You could work the entire event or just some of
the days that you are able.

*What is the Seaplane Base?*
The Seaplane Base (http://www.oshkoshseaplanebase.com/) is a discontiguous
part of the AirVenture grounds.  This is where all the seaplanes and float
planes that fly in are kept.

*What will I do at the Seaplane Base?*
The atmosphere is laid back at the Seaplane Base.  Activities include watch
for incoming aircraft, recording tail numbers, running communications,
general crowd safety, and various other tasks as needed.  You are part of
the EAA precautionary search and rescue mission in the event of a nearby
incident or ELT sortie.  Cadets who attend will have an opportunity to go
to the main airshow for the day (for free).

*What are the grounds like?*
The base is a decent sized lagoon that the planes can pull into and find
safety from Lake Winnebago.  There are many tents for vendors, food stalls,
and common areas.  The community of people stay in RVs, tents, and nearby
hotels.  There is a bus that moves back and forth between the main airshow
grounds.  The CAP Base will include a few RVs, and several large military
tents.  You will have the opportunity to work with cadets from other
squadrons and make new friends.

*How much does it cost?*
There is no cost to attend the activity.  However, food is not free.  You
will have to bring your own food for the time present.  The hosting
squadron, Sheboygan Composite Squadron, offered a meal plan last year (this
year's cost to be determined).  Most of the La Crosse cadets last year just
pooled their food/money together and made meals together.  Electricity is
limited, so most food must be kept in coolers (ice is for sale onsite and
up the road at a convenience store).

*Transportation*
There will not be official CAP transportation provided as of right now.  If
enough volunteer, we can attempt to arrange it.  It is 2hr, 45 min to get
there.

Please let me know if you are interested and we can talk more details.

RICHARD N. MERZ III, Capt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets